Thursday, October 28, 2010

~My Interview with Vintageweave Interiors~

Each month I will be doing a Q & A interview with someone who inspires me. The interviews will be on Websites, Blogs & Boutique shops.

This months interview is with Kathy, the owner of Vintageweave Interiors. Kathy has an upscale boutique located in Los Angeles. She also has an online shop and a beautiful Blog.  

v18  (Kathy’s answers are in blue)

  1) Do you remember when you first started being interested in design?

Absolutely! In grade school I started rearranging my bedroom, often moving my furniture much to my mother's chagrin! She'd hear movement and rumblings, and was aghast to walk in my room only to find I preferred the bed under the window! It's amazing how strong a little girl's legs are when used as leverage! I constantly made highly-decorated cardboard houses for my Barbie's, too. My Ken had the first hipster NY pad, complete with fake fur wallpaper made from dyed cotton balls!

v1 v3

     2) Can you tell me when you started your Blog and a little bit about what made you decide to start it?

The blog began three years ago as a way to highlight our favorite items brought back on our frequent pilgrimages to France, as well as general treasure hunting around town. Because there are so many facets to Vintageweave in addition to the boutique and online store (gift baskets to the entertainment industry, consulting on set designs, private client design, etc), we also wanted a venue to let our customers and clients know what was going on with our multi-faceted business. Also, we are a mainly private-appointment boutique so writing on the blog and Facebook allows us to still keep in touch with the many who may only know us through online ordering. It was never set out to win awards or copy and paste all the beautiful inspirational pictures from other blogs or magazines; just an extension of the overall business. The beautiful, unexpected thing is that it has allowed us to have a more personal relationship with our regular clients stateside and abroad. We really have the best followers of this business and I love interacting with all these beautiful souls. {Note: In this age of instant gratification and an over-active workload, we're now a bit more focused on enjoying these connections through our business Facebook page.}  

v17v15
   
3) Did anyone specific influence you?

Both of my parents are highly creative. I remember in the 70's how everyone would marvel at the "chic" brown wall my parents painted as an accent. However, It ends in the home decor genes for me; they are highly talented and self-taught in landscape design, whereas my thumb is pretty brown. My father passed last year and he made me some Fleur de Lis burlap banners two years ago; it's one of the first things people comment on when entering the boutique.  Since we didn't grow up with a lot of money, I was fortunate to be surrounded by out-of-the-box creativity out of necessity.

v16 v13

4) You are so talented, can you tell me about some of your interests?

Well since Vintageweave is a French Lifestyle store, I obviously have a serious passion for that part of the world. I've always been drawn to simple and natural decor found in farmhouses in the South of France. And I love splashes of French red!  What many don't know about me is I'm also  passionate about cooking. While I won't win awards, I have been am fortunate to have taken many cooking classes in Italy and France. Several years ago I was fortunate to have one of my designs {French Hemp Silverware Sleeve) purchased en masse by professional chef, Nigella Lawson. Out of that relationship she gave me a list of "must have's" to overhaul my  gadgets; as a result my kitchen is the gathering spot for group cooking at  frequent dinner parties. I love entertaining! My favorite present to myself on my birthday is to throw my own party where I can offer up every single detail of design!   My boyfriend would tell you that I'm passionate about shoes, but what does a man who lives in Converse know!

v12 v8
   
5) Where are some of the places that you have been featured?

InStyle Home, Los Angeles Magazine, Bon Appetite, Gourmet Magazine, House Beautiful, Romantic Homes and Country Living, to name a few of my favorite shelter magazines. Also, many of  Vintageweave's items were featured in several clients' homes in O at Home and Oprah.
 
v5 v7
 
6) What items are currently inspiring you?

Antique French postal bags for amazing, one-of-a-kind pillows and dog beds and I have a never-ending passion for antique and vintage French tea towels. I drool every time I run across them. Antique French Garden Chairs with scrolled arms offer a simplicity and romance that I love putting into my client's homes right now.  While I adore some reproductions, there's nothing like an antique item where you can let your mind wander as to the family that sat around the old table, wiping their mouths with the vintage linens and sharing their day's events. If these items could speak ah the stories they would enliven us with...it's such a privilege to hold something in your hands that was once loved by another no longer on this earth.
v6


7) Can you tell me what future projects you are working on and any new things that we can look forward to reading about on your Blog and Facebook?


I just started working on Sharon Osbourne's dressing room on the set of her new talk show so hope to share pictures as the design unfolds; procuring props for several set designers for four upcoming feature film and television shows;  and a client has purchased her third Malibu, CA home in 2 years which I shall begin to tackle. Additionally, we have several magazine spreads coming out next year in Romantic Homes, California Magazine, Malibu Magazine and Los Angeles Magazine.  We're in the infancy stages of starting our own home decor accessory line, too. If I wasn't running around like a headless chicken I would probably be watching old Cary Grant movies whilst eating cupcakes!
 

v1logo

Visit Vintageweave Interiors:

7928 West 3rd Street 
Los Angeles, CA 90048323.932.0451

http://www.vintageweave.com

http://vintageweave.blogspot.com

9 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kathy's style so much - I always look forward to seeing her at the Remnants of the Past show in Ca. twice a year, where she shops for some of her treasures. She has bought several of my designs from year to year, and always has the sweetest things to say! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee-you're so talented! Love the pillows! Thanks for including us...!
    Wrote about this write up and your great pillows on our business Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintageweave-Interiors/184548307359

    May it be a blessed and beautiful week for you-
    Best,
    Kathy Delgado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy is one of the most talented people I work with. As well as the smartest business women I have come across and I have been a sales rep for 32 years.
    carrocino.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, really loved reading it!
    alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doudoune Moncler Great Blog I love the lay out and the color scheme is it possible to get a copy of your theme?Doudoune Moncler

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the vintage tins and pitchers. I collect them for my summer camp and think that these would fit absolutely perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview. I always like to give first priority to Kathy's style. I always look forward to seeing her at the Remnants of the Past show in Canada, that was such a superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview you have shared in here, nice reading. Like that bed too. :)

    real estate ph

    ReplyDelete